Every Valentine’s Day, I like to make a delicious dessert for both Chris and I to enjoy. This year, I decided I wanted to make chocolate lava cake. I hadn’t had any for years, and when I was looking up recipes, it jumped out at me and stuck.
I had made this recipe before, and remembered it being divine, so I wanted to stick with the same recipe. I did have, however, one modification I wanted to make. I had Ghirardelli caramel chips in my baking cupboard, and had been waiting for the perfect recipe to use them for. These caramel chips pushed this recipe to the very top of my “favorite desserts” list, and for good reason! They added the perfect hint of caramel flavor and a creamy texture to the lava cake. I would HIGHLY recommend this wonderful addition!
Image from bettycrocker.com.
Slow-Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.
- 1 box triple chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding and pie filling mi
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup Ghirardelli caramel chips
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer as directed on cake mix box. Pour into slow cooker.
In medium bowl, beat pudding mix and 2 cups milk with whisk as directed on box. Pour into slow cooker over cake batter. Do not mix. Sprinkle chocolate chips and caramel chips over top.
- Cover. Cook on low heat setting 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until cake is set and pudding is beginning to bubble out of cake.