We’ve had quite the cold front that’s moved in and settled in our little town. It went from unseasonably warm fall weather to frigid winter temperatures in a matter of hours.
I don’t know about you, but weather like this has me feeling less motivated in all aspects of my life – whether that be cleaning my house, cooking something up in the kitchen, or just being productive in any aspect. I have to practically force myself to complete my regular to-do’s, rather than curling up on the couch in a fuzzy blanket with a good book or a movie.
Chris and I have an ever-growing to-do list for our house, and these winter feelings have got me feeling like our house is INSURMOUNTABLE. I know it’s really just one step at a time, but it’s so hard when you just want it to be done instantly. You know? Like, I want to be like Joanna Gaines and be able to step into the finished product and just decorate. Instead, we’re single-handedly Chip Gaines AND Joanna Gaines AND their large slew of workers. It feels so amazing to have the accomplishments of doing the drywall, laying the tile, and various other house projects, but it’s just so slow going.
One step at a time, right?
With as busy as we’ve been between our own jobs and working on our house, it’s nice to have a dinner recipe to throw into my slow cooker or Instant Pot. The beauty of this is that I can be working in the basement or at the gym, and dinner is making itself and ready when we’re good and hungry.
This beef stroganoff recipe is a healthier spin on the traditional stroganoff, but is still the ultimate comfort food. It is so creamy and delicious, it will be sure to be a family favorite! My house smelled HEAVENLY only a few minutes after starting this in my Instant Pot.
Slow Cooker Creamy Beef Stroganoff
Recipe adapted from Creme De La Crumb.
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds stew meat
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (we nixed the mushrooms, as neither of us are fans)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened
- 4 tablespoons corn starch or flour + 1/2 cup beef broth
- 12 ounces short pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- Lightly grease your slow cooker, then add stew meat and sprinkle Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste over the top. Add mushrooms, beef broth, garlic, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours. If done in an Instant Pot, cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir corn starch (or flour) into ½ cup beef broth and stir mixture into slow cooker. Add cream cheese and sour cream to slow cooker then cook another 20-30 minutes on high, stirring occasionally until cream cheese and sour cream are incorporated and sauce is thickened. Taste, add salt and pepper to your personal taste if needed, and stir in noodles. Serve immediately garnished with cracked black pepper and fresh thyme if desired.
I’m basically drooling over these pictures and the recipe, remembering how amazing this stroganoff is. I know what I’m making again tomorrow!