I have another Thanksgiving dish to rave about. I love sweet potatoes and am all about the traditional dishes, buuut really wanted to try out a new recipe – also from “Our Best Bites.”
Candied Coconut Sweet Potatoes
4 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 4 medium sweet potatoes or 2 (28 ounce) cans
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons real butter, softened or melted
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
6 tablespoons melted butter
*We also added a couple of handfuls of marshmallows to add a touch of the traditional dish to this new recipe!
- If using fresh sweet potatoes, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and place them on a foil-lined backing sheet in the oven. Bake 45-60 minutes or until tender.
- Once potatoes have cooled enough to handle, slice them in half lengthwise and scoop the insides into a mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add sugar, butter, eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla to potatoes in the mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until the desired consistency is reached. You can make it smooth or leave chunks of sweet potatoes in the mixture. Spread mixture evenly in a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch pan or in individual serving dishes, and set aside.
- For the topping: Combine brown sugar and coconut and then add melted butter and mix gently. Sprinkle mixture evenly over sweet potatoes. If you are adding marshmallows, spread these out with the topping.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or less, depending on the size dish you use. The top should be browned and bubbly.
The plus side of this dish, besides being absolutely to die for and the hit of your Thanksgiving? It can be made an entire day ahead of time and reheats very nicely in the microwave!